Tax experts are responsible for activities linked to income tax and taxes. They make sure the tax process runs smoothly and optimize the application of tax laws for the company. Tax accountant, tax specialist, tax advisor, chief tax accountant are various roles existing within a tax service.
Tax accountants are among the most sought-after financial professionals in Canada (2006 Salary Guide / Robert Half International).
- Prepare and/or audit annual declarations, tax installments and GST/QST claims
- See to the respect of fiscal obligations
- Coordinate and optimize the income tax preparation process
- Prepare tax planning files
- Stay up to date with tax legislation
- Act as a resource person for co-workers
EDUCATION AND SKILLS
- University degree in taxation, law or accounting and/or specialized CICA training (In-Depth Tax Course)
- Expert in the use of spreadsheets, database applications and tax research tools (Taxprep type)
- Good knowledge of theories and generally accepted accounting principles
- Certification from a recognized professional accounting association (CPA, CPA,CA, CPA,CMA or CPA,CGA) may be required
- Organizational skills, thoroughness and eye for detail
- Good interpersonal and relational skills
- Typical career path
Tax account => Chief tax accountant => Tax manager
Tax experts generally specialize in their field, with passage to general accounting more rare.
Consult Accounting – finance salaries section or use the salary calculator
Visit www.accountingjobs.ca for accounting clerk and technician jobs