Position: Chief Compliance Officer – Combined Insurance Canada
Department: Office of General Counsel
Reporting to: North American Chief Compliance Officer
Locations: Greater Montreal or Toronto Area
Combined Insurance Company of America is a leading provider of individual accident, disability, health and life insurance products, and a Chubb company. Chubb is the world’s largest publicly traded property and casualty insurer. With operations in 54 countries, Chubb provides commercial and personal property and casualty insurance, personal accident and supplemental health insurance, reinsurance and life insurance to a diverse group of clients.
ABOUT THE OFFICE OF GENERAL COUNSEL:
We seek highly motivated individuals to join our team who exhibit the best-in-class competencies listed below and embody the Office of General Counsel (OGC) culture.
• We deliver high quality work product, services and solutions that demonstrate understanding of the needs and requirements of our business partners and support achievement of team goals.
• We adapt to changing business needs and environments through a proactive, flexible approach that achieves results and strikes the proper balance among all constituencies.
• We demonstrate character, integrity and professionalism, both within a team environment in OGC and in fulfilling our responsibilities to our business partners.
• We build collaborative, trusting relationships with team members and business partners through superior communication skills, empathy and respect.
• We independently manage work responsibilities through commitment, dedication and accountability, and display an on-going commitment to self-improvement.
The Chief Compliance Officer will support the North America Compliance function, with primary oversight of Combined Insurance, Canada Branch operations. The Chief Compliance Officer will be responsible for developing and maintaining an effective compliance program in Canada, designed to establish compliance standards and to monitor, detect, and prevent compliance deficiencies.
• The role reports directly to the North America Chief Compliance Officer and, indirectly to the General Counsel of Combined Insurance. The Chief Compliance Officer will consult with business owners to evaluate the effectiveness of compliance controls and implement new controls, as required; perform annual compliance self-assessments; and assist the business generally in respect of compliance related matters and issues;
• Develop an effective compliance program with continuous improvement for changing laws, regulations and regulatory focus;
• Manage the compliance program’s auditing and monitoring activities including compliance assurance monitoring and compliance testing for the Canadian Branch;
• Act as the primary liaison with Canadian regulators on compliance matters including responding to inquiries and requests for information;
• Communicate and ensure compliance with corporate policies, including the Code of Conduct, and changing legal and regulatory requirements and/or reminders of the same to employees, management, and independent contractor agents;
• Manage compliance with applicable privacy and data security laws and regulations and collaborate with appropriate Chubb privacy and data security personnel to manage data security incidents;
• Hold the role of Chief Anti-Money Laundering Officer with oversight for Anti-Money Laundering and Anti-Terrorist Financing requirements under Canadian law;
• Monitor and audit for regulatory compliance by Combined’s third-party vendors and service providers including adherence to privacy and data security requirements;
• Supervise the complaint handling process, address escalated and regulatory complaints and lead process improvement projects to address areas of customer dissatisfaction;
• Review and advise on compliance requirements related to new products or business initiatives;
• Support the internal corporate compliance framework and business compliance plans and initiatives;
• Engage with and work collaboratively with Business Compliance Officers (designated business personnel within a business division who are responsible for adherence to compliance protocols and requirements);
• Assist with sanctions related matters and inquiries;
• Prepare and deliver compliance related training to employees, management, and independent contractor agents;
• Draft compliance policies and procedures and continually update for changing legal and marketplace requirements.
• LLB / JD degree, with previous experience in compliance related role strongly preferred;
• Knowledge and previous experience in the legal and regulatory environment related to financial institutions, ideally with experience in accident, health and life insurance;
• Knowledge and experience with auditing, controls, risk rating, and risk management ;
• Demonstrated strong business acumen;
• Fluency in French and English ;
• Strong oral and written communication skills, including ability to give presentations and conduct effective training;
• Demonstrated ability in effective management of internal/external relationships;
• Ability to prioritize competing demands and apply effective organization and time management skills, with the ability to multi-task;
• Detail-oriented with effective follow-up skills;
• Occasional travel across Canada and to US is required.
Please visit our careers page at https://www.combinedinsurance.com to apply for this opportunity.
Combined Insurance is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Human Resources in a timely fashion if accommodation measures are needed to enable you in a fair and equitable manner during the selection process. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.