MATTER HERE. Situated on the traditional territory of the Coast Salish peoples, Vancouver Island University is a comprehensive teaching university with 15,000 students across four campuses. VIU proudly fosters student success, strong community connections and international collaborations by providing access to a wide range of programs, from academic undergraduate and master's to industry-responsive trades and vocational training. VIU is fortunate to host a large number of Indigenous students and provides a learning environment that is accessible, relevant for all learners, celebrates success and acknowledges history and traditions.
To be a part of the VIU community is to know what it is like to matter here. We are currently accepting applications for a permanent, full-time Financial Analyst.
The Financial Analyst is an integral part of the Finance team. Using a high level of technical expertise, demonstrated accuracy and attention to detail, the incumbent will perform a high volume of in-depth analysis, data entry, process reviews, and apply strong accounting knowledge in a number of core financial areas.
Using past knowledge with large integrated financial systems and in consultation with business owners and Enterprise Systems, from the ground up, the Financial Analyst will design and build financial process, accounting structure and reporting frameworks to support new accounting initiatives or changes to current processes.
The Financial Analyst will perform a variety of tasks on a regular basis, including:
· Develop reports, processes, and procedures to support new initiatives and financial requirements.
· Provide education and support to users of the financial system to promote and foster understanding of the financial reports and how to manage financial resources.
· Conduct business process and policy reviews to assess efficiency, effectiveness, and economies.
· Redesign and implement processes, procedures, and internal controls where improvements can be made.
· Analyze key financial areas on an ongoing basis and, where concerns exist, document issues, investigate possible solutions, recommend course of action and implement agreed upon solution.
· Report institutional results to a variety of external agencies, such as the Ministry of Advanced Education, Statistics Canada, and CRA.
· Communicate directly with agencies to answer questions or solve issues around the reports.
· When new processes are required, apply best practices and technical knowledge to design and propose sustainable policies and procedures.
· Prepare quarterly financial reports and perform variance analysis.
· Work closely with Deans, Directors, and Finance staff to provide in-depth analysis of the cause of key financial variances.
· Prepare portions of annual financial statements and assigned year end working papers.
· Work with external auditors to provide additional information as required.
· Monitor and prepare reconciliations for specific accounts.
· Prepare correcting entries wherever inaccuracies are found.
· Track and maintain the accounting records for various VIU general ledger accounts.
· Become proficient in the specific processes and cross-train to provide backup support for key financial managers or functions within the Finance department.
· Provide supervision and team leadership for longer-term financial projects.
· A recognized Canadian accounting designation (CPA-CA, CPA-CGA, CPA-CMA), with current membership.
· Demonstrated experience working with a broad range of external audit clients and entity integrated system experience.
· Three years in-depth financial reporting and analysis work experience, preferably in a post-secondary institution or a publicly funded organization of similar size.
· Solid understanding and application of current accounting principles for not for profit, public sector and charitable organizations.
· Demonstrated ability to produce concise and complex financial reports.
· Must be able to interpret, explain, report on and provide advice on a variety of accounting, budgetary and financial management issues.
· Effective oral and written communication along with the ability to maintain strong working relationships with all levels of faculty and staff.
· Superior investigative and analytical skills with the ability to identify and implement strategies for improvement.
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Office with exceptional Microsoft Excel skills and demonstrated ability applying Excel to complex financial analysis.
· Candidate must be self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision within multiple tight deadlines.
VIU has been awarded a BC's Top Employer award for the last two years from the Top Employers program. If this is the next step in your professional career, please submit your application online by October 28, 2021.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. VIU embraces the principle of employment equity and encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and people of Aboriginal descent.
VIU offers a solid compensation package, including a comprehensive benefits plan; ample holiday time; professional development opportunities and a desirable pension plan that takes the worry out of retirement. As part of the VIU campus community, you will work with supportive colleagues within an encouraging environment and be provided with tools and training that inspires and promotes learning.
The VIU community is grateful to the Snuneymuxw, Quw'utsun, Tla'Amin, Snaw-naw-as and Qualicum First Nation on whose traditional, unceded territories we teach, learn, research, live and share knowledge. With hands raised to the original stewards, we say Hay ch qa' sii'em sieye' yu mukw Mustimuxw.